Saturday, December 18, 2010

"Music is what feelings sound like."



I don't know who said that quote above. I just googled "quotes about music" and liked what I read. I have said where we are at a couple of times... right now its all about the audio stuff... adjusting levels, sound fx, and music. (There are some other things, but right now the focus is pretty much on the audio.) And as you can tell from the picture and quote, this blog is going to be all about adjusting levels... So, sit back, relax, and get ready to read about making dialogue the right volume!

Just kidding. This blog will be about music. Specifically the music of "Blaming George Romero," which I haven't really gone into detail about. Movie music may be my favorite music of all... I was never really into the radio, so I would hear new songs in soundtracks to the movies I watched. My iphone is FILLED with the scores of various films and songs that I first heard in a movie.

Its important in a movie. Music can elevate a good movie to a great movie. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park... all great movies... But those movies (and more) would lose some of their greatness if it weren't for the score by John Williams. Up is a great cartoon... beautiful... but even moreso because of Michael Giacchino (who also did the music for Lost FYI). Actors and visuals can do so much, but the notes of a good composer can create (or bring about) emotions that words and visuals could not do alone. You get my point, I'm sure.

After the main production team came into being, one of the first things I looked into was music. What the hell would we do for music? I mean, yeah, I know some bands and whatnot but I needed more than that. And so, I went where I always go when I have any kind of question about music: Meg Zervoulis. I have known Meg since I was 13 years old and we did Oliver! at the BJCC under the direction of Shia Saltzman... but I digress... So, I have known her exactly half my life at this point. I am not exaggerating when I say that she is the most talented musician that I know. I mean no disrespect to any of the other musicians that I know, but if you know Meg, you would agree. So, I trust her when it comes to music.

I sent her an email telling her what I had planned, and then I asked her if she knew anyone who would be interested/available in scoring this little movie of mine. I honestly didn't even think to ask if she would want to... I knew that she was busy with a huge variety of musical things in her life... but I knew that she knows other musicians. She sent me back a prompt email with a list of other possible composers, and then at the end of it she added... "or me." Obviously, I knew what I wanted. I quickly sent an email back telling her that if she was willing to do this, I would always prefer working with her... And she agreed to come on board, which thrilled me. At that point, not only did I have world class actors, but I somehow got a world class musician to boot!

Last night, I heard where she is going with the score, and I am verrry happy. It is going to be oh so great, and I cannot wait to watch the whole movie with the music in it. Like I said, Meg is awesome.

Now, that is the score... At the moment, I plan to also some great songs by Max Arias Jr., Joe Timpanaro, Ramy Shedid, Sir Joey Mosca, and the now defunct band Guido the Killer Pimp.

With all the great pieces in the "Blaming George Romero" puzzle, I am very happy and look forward to watching it on the big screen...

That said, I keep getting asked "when can I see the movie?" Well, I am happy to report that as of today, I know when you will be able to see the movie... and I can do you one better... I know where you will be able to see the movie as well. And I will tell you... before the end of the weekend!

Stay tuned!

Sam
Actor, Writer, Producer
"Blaming George Romero"

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP